[Jacob-list] Ewe lamb unable to stand

rlynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Thu Feb 24 12:38:36 EST 2005

 My vet recommends 1/2 cc BOSE SubQ to all lambs at birth. I think we're marginally selenium deficient here.

About the lamb that can't stand--I think that if it is not white muscle disease there is sometimes a defect that causes "wobbliness" in varying degrees (slightly swaying but gets around well to not able to stand). I'll bet that everyone who has a couple dozen or more sheep has seen this occasionally. I don't know if this would have to do with genetics or is purely random.

My lambing season started 3 weeks ago and is just about over. 41 ewes have lambed with 65 live lambs (lost 1). There are 35 ewe lambs and 30 ram lambs. I only have 4 ewes left to go, one of whom I expect to lamb by the weekend. Two of the others are yearlings and could lamb any time. The last ewe is a ways off.  Lambing was amazingly easy this year with very few times I felt I needed to intervene--and that was mainly because a lamb had it's head almost out and I had to get kids to school or something.

Robin Lynde
Meridian Jacobs
Vacaville, CA
www.meridianjacobs.com

    BTW:I would appreciate any advice on BoSe injections-amts, timing, route (IM SC), etc-what is everyone else's experience?