[Jacob-list] worst lambing experiences topic

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Feb 18 21:37:27 EST 2005

It is entirely 'natural' for some lambs to die if we look at the "big picture".  We just don't want it to be our lambs.  I agree, wholeheartedly, that we do have a responsibility to be shepherds to our sheep.

What a sad story.  These Jacobs are sure hardy critters, but there are certainly limits to what you can expect from them.  Our commercial ewes were over 200 lbs - can't imagine how big the commercial ram was.  A little common sense is helpful sometimes :-)  I seldom leave the farm when lambs are due, just in case.  I am hardly ever needed - but I do have a few like Betty's that like me to around - but I feel more comfortable being here.  I am fortunate in that I really don't need to go anywhere, so I can stay home.

Do you like Lawson's  "managing your ewe" more than "lamb problems"?  I bought both about 4 years ago.  Lots of repetition between the two, but I do like having both.  Merck's is a must have for any animal owner.

Any lambs for you yet, Mary Ellen?

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com