No subject

Wed Feb 2 07:52:04 EST 2005

there is a good supply of protein and coarser where there is ample =
energy in the ration. The key to fleece growth here in the Southeast as =
opposed to the upper tier states may well be that our forages here in =
the SE are significantly lower in energy. Even good quality alfalfa is =
going to have Total Digestible Nutrients of 64% or less as opposed to =
70% in Wisconsin. Except for corn, grasses tend to have lower energy =
than legumes, and warm season grasses are lower still. Fescue grown in =
the heat of the summer (mid-May on in North Carolina) do well to break =
50% TDN.=20

Our early sheep did well to have 3 pound fleeces. Jacob lamb fleeces =
often weighed 1 to 1.5 pounds unskirted. Since then, 15 years of =
selecting for decent fleece have increased the average weight to the 3 =
to 4.5 pound range on adults, with a lot more consistency in weight. In =
contrast, our Finn X Cotswold sheep will often have 12 pound fleeces.

Neal Grose
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mary Hansson=20
  To: jacob-list at jacobsheep.com=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 10:56 AM
  Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] Re: Fleece growth

  Hi all,

  It is the extremely unusual sheep that I have had over the years that =
would produce an UNSKIRTED fleece of 4 pounds.  I can think of 3 sheep =
specifically.  Most produce 2-2.5 pounds UNSKIRTED WT.

  We live in the hot, sticky SE of the nation.

  There is a marked difference in handle of fleeces grown in the Midwest =
and the Rockies from my experiences travelling around to various flocks. =
 I can't comment on fleece weights in those areas.  Breeders in those =
areas have also told me that their fleeces soften up and become =
perceptibly finer when they are moved from those environments.

  Mary Ellen

  Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
  ISeeSpots Farm
  Jacob Sheep: Lambs, adults, wool
  www.iseespots.com
------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3FC6E.4BA7DC00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>From information that I have seen, wool fibers tend =
to grow=20
longer where there is a good supply of protein and&nbsp;coarser where =
there is=20
ample energy in the ration. The key to fleece growth here in the =
Southeast as=20
opposed to the upper tier states may well be that our forages here in =
the SE are=20
significantly lower in energy. Even good quality alfalfa is going to =
have Total=20
Digestible Nutrients of 64% or less as opposed to 70% in Wisconsin. =
Except for=20
corn, grasses tend to have lower energy than legumes, and warm season =
grasses=20
are lower still. Fescue grown in the heat of the summer (mid-May on in =
North=20
Carolina) do well to break 50% TDN. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Our early sheep did well to have 3 pound fleeces. =
Jacob lamb=20
fleeces often weighed 1 to 1.5 pounds unskirted. Since then, 15 years of =

selecting for decent fleece have increased the average weight to the 3 =
to 4.5=20
pound range on adults, with a lot more consistency in weight.&nbsp;In =
contrast,=20
our Finn X Cotswold sheep will often have 12 pound fleeces.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Neal Grose</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dbuffgeese at yahoo.com =
href=3D"mailto:buffgeese at yahoo.com">Mary=20
  Hansson</A> </DIV>
title=3Djacob-list at jacobsheep.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:jacob-list at jacobsheep.com">jacob-list at jacobsheep.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, February 26, =
2004 10:56=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Jacob-list] Re: =
Fleece=20
  growth</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Hi all,</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>It is the extremely unusual sheep that I have had over the years =
that=20
  would produce an UNSKIRTED fleece of 4 pounds.&nbsp; I can think of 3 =
sheep=20
  specifically.&nbsp; Most produce 2-2.5 pounds UNSKIRTED WT.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>We live in the hot, sticky SE of the nation.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>There is a marked difference in handle of fleeces grown in the =
Midwest=20
  and the Rockies from my experiences travelling around to various =
flocks.&nbsp;=20
  I can't comment on fleece weights in those areas.&nbsp; Breeders in =
those=20
  areas have also told me that their fleeces soften up and become =
perceptibly=20
  finer when they are moved from those environments.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Mary Ellen</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR><BR>Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN<BR>ISeeSpots =

  Farm<BR>Jacob Sheep: Lambs, adults,=20
wool<BR>www.iseespots.com</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C3FC6E.4BA7DC00--