No subject

Wed Feb 2 07:52:04 EST 2005

ram lamb and pick up 2 rams.  We arrived without too many detours about dusk
and by the light of the barn light I got my first peek at her Cotswolds and
Jacob sheep.  The next morning, we looked at all the sheep and had grand
times playing with eyelids both hands on and off.  She has at least 1 llama
and a little donkey in with sheep.  This flock is probably one of the less
uniform in "look" of the ones I saw this summer.  She loves the small
all-over spotting pattern, which has led to her flock being strong in this
area but not having the overall "horn/body shape/etc" uniformity that other
breeders have selected for.

After leaving her place around noon, we headed down through Chicago----a
town I hope to NEVER drive through again!  On from there to Indianapolis and
toward PA!  The next afternoon we dropped a ram behind a gas station to Sue
Martin and moved quickly off toward Bob May's NEAT home.

Bob has a group of sheep that are simply lovely.  Those of you who went to
the MD Sheep and Wool Show this spring would have seen some of his sheep.
We talked about shearing schedules, wool growth, etc. and had quite the
enjoyable conversation before he got us dropped off at the local hotel for
the night.  His son entertained the boys while we packed water and a little
hay through this very up-scale NJ hotel----OH JOY!

Next morning, the boys and I were off to Wayne and Edie's farm.  This was
the first time I have actually gotten to see their place other than in
pictures at fiber events.  I have seen their lambs for years at fiber shows
and what a pleasure!  We got a little breakfast, some chit-chat, a good look
at sheep and critters before hitting the road towards home.

I missed a turn someplace in Delaware and managed to drive the remaining 8
sheep and 2 GPs right around the beltways of Baltimore and DC----didn't know
you could see the Washtington Monument from the interstate!  Anyway, we got
home that evening and slept in our own beds.

The weekend arrived and Deb and Ronnie got their ram picked up, and by
Monday Kelly was home so we delivered the remaining 5 sheep for Cathy
Robinson (she too has been collecting sheep from various and sundry places
with a REAL eye for pretty sheep!) and Kelly Foster.

Kelly had just gotten back from her trip to Mary Spahr's place.  Puddleduck
Sir James at 20 feet is a pretty ram.  Many of her girls started out at my
place---not all, though----so this flock is just beautiful in my barn
blindness.  Kelly can take my stuff and put pretty horn sets on the
offspring, a trick I envy her for enormously.

Now---that pretty well wraps up my summer travels and flocks visited.
Through it all, I got pictures at only Linda and Maizie's places.  There
were a few pictures that didn't come out well at Fred and Joan's place, and
I never remembered at the other ones.  A few pictures got taken by others of
the trailer, but I never even managed to get that done---especially when it
was loaded down and my van's back bumper was almost touching the pavement in
CO.

I am looking into doing a Jacob breeder's meeting of sorts (yet to be
determined and planned properly) at SAFF.  If you think you might be
interested in coming, the weekend is Oct 28-29 (Saturday and Sunday in case
the date is wrong).  Let me know if you think you might be interested.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.