[Jacob-list] Aging ruminants

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri Dec 30 19:40:52 EST 2005

Aren't horns (except for the core) keratin?  Maybe something that is good for strong fingernails would help?

I've seen the varying horn diameters that Cathy describes on ewes of varying ages.  Horn growth is an indicator of a stress (nutritional) period, much like tree rings.  I've seen the greatly diminished diameter with flaking on a few ewes (one here) and some of them had been in stress situations, but the ones that had the flaking were all either old or of unknown age.

BTW, I've also had the pleasure of meeting the Lady Jane and she's plump with a healthy fleece and an active appetite.

When sheep/people/dogs/etc get older they do have a harder time utilizing feeds.  It wouldn't hurt to give her a dose of probios.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com