[Jacob-list] Old Sheep Needs

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Fri Dec 30 09:39:55 EST 2005

Many of you that are acquainted with our flock know that we have a spry,
old ewe still with us that has passed her 20th year.
Except for some arthritis, Jane appears to be in great shape for her
age...she even has all her teeth...that I can see.

For those of you with either good nutrition backgrounds, or experience
with geriatric sheep, I would be interested in your comments regarding
something we have been watching on her for about a year now.  Her new
horn growth (that area closest to her head) is now narrowing in
diameter, and fairly significantly.  The horn material in that area also
appears to be dry and flaky rather than smooth and dark as it has been
in years past.

I am wondering if this is typical for really old Jacob sheep, or if it
might be indicative of a deficiency at her stage in life that we could
be supplementing.  Her horns SEEM to be solid, but I honestly wonder if
their strength may be compromised if the trend continues. Should we
expect them to be more fragile as she continues to age?   Not sure how
many years this girl intends to stay with us, but she is an amazing
example of primitive, hardy, and healthy!

Our sheep do have access to mineral at all times;  we also use a
supplement tub throughout the year, and Jane's group still has one.
 Several of the other sheep have lost theirs due to "excess" condition.
 I don't see how Jane could be deficient in anything, unless there is
something she should be getting LOTS more of  than the norm.  If that is
the case, that would be no problem, as we feed her separately from the
other girls in her group anyway.  She is on a strictly measured amount
of grain because otherwise she takes WAY more than she needs.  She
thinks it is a privilege to eat alone, and we are sure she thinks she is
getting MORE than anyone else with her special treatment!  We haven't
told her the truth!   :-)

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm, NC