[Jacob-list] Ram shields

Meg Steensland beegal7 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 03:13:06 EST 2005

        A lama moat around the sheep pen might be a good idea.  I was wondering if that might work with a lama moat around a duckpen as I was loosing ducks to maurading raccoons.  I tried to put a lama in a small pen adjacent to the duckpen(doors side) and he would have none of it.

  Currently, I have lamas in with the sheep with rams but rams are under one year old and none show signs of aggression yet.  One is getting  a little interested in a weanling male lama but there are 3 adult females as well as 4 ewes for him to contend with.

  The first winter I had one male lama in with 2 2003 ram lambs and they did fine together.  Winter is bad for housing as I have to bring in sheep from the 3 paddocks in the woods due to hunting season and freezing water.  The rest of the year there is more space.  I have not used ram shields.

  Carl seems to have a great setup for dealing with multiple rams.  Maybe he will comment on use of shields or other safety practices.

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE <aztreaz at earthlink.net> wrote:   Does anyone have experience with shields for rams so that they don't ram.
We are planning on getting guard llamas next month and were wondering about
using those shields to prevent the rams from ramming into the
llamas.\Cynthia
=======
You mean like a shield of armor the horses wore in 15th Century England?
It might work. Be very careful putting the ram and llamas together. My
ram used to chase the llama and the llama would go sailing over the fence
to get away from him. Now the llama just spits in his face and the two get
along together. I also heard about a couple who bought a 4-horned ram from
some folks here in town. The ram was being sold because it was aggressive.
The ram ended up killing the new owner's guard llama. I have my llama in a
run that goes around part of the sheep pen, so he can still guard but be
separate from the sheep. I just don't trust my ram.
Good Luck,
Cathy
Moscow, Idaho