[Jacob-list] ear tags

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Dec 12 08:14:34 EST 2005

I use the button style tags from the VSFCP.  As lambs, however, I  identify
them with a small ear tag purchased from Sheepman Supply.  It's  called a
Roto-tag -- small, plastic tag available in several colors and number  increments.
You would also need to purchase the applicator for that  tag. We use this tag
at 3 days post lambing for identification  purposes.  With sometimes lambing
out 50-60 lambs, even the best  shepherd(ess) can get mixed up as to which lamb
belongs to what ewe! :)

The federal scrapie program doesn't require an official tag  application
until 6 months of age, unless the animal is leaving the farm  before then and is
for breeding purposes.  There are, of course, other  implications to tagging
such as fairs, festivals, etc. so consult the mandatory  scrapie regulations,
just to be sure.  We use the free state tags for  any wether's and/or butcher
animals -- simply because they are free.  I  despise WV tags as they are metal
(not brass) and frequently get lost so I  restrict them to non-breeding sheep
whenever possible.  Breeding  animals, however, must have our official federal
button tag no later than 6  months of age.  They are a bit large, hence our
use of the smaller tag  at birth.  I would note, however, the button tags are
much smaller than a  traditional "sheep" tag listed as acceptable with VSCFP.  I
have seen the  other tags and they are HUGE so we opted to use the button
style  instead.  My experience has been good with the button tags -- very little
loss with those as compared to other tags we have used, including the  small,
plastic ID birth tags!

I'm sure there are already "sheep approved" micro chips available for
identification -- if not, they probably will be soon.  Explore your options  and
decide what is best for your flock, in your breeding program.  Take  into
consideration your fencing method (woven wire and button tags do clash
occasionally), time available for research and application and, of course,  financial
commitment for purchasing supplies.  If you start the federal  program, it is at
minimum 5 years before obtaining "certified" status.   Always know, however, it
is a VOLUNTARY program.

Good luck!

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits