[Jacob-list] chaff hay???

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Dec 11 19:10:46 EST 2005

Thanks.  I was just informed that Chaffhaye is a brand name.  Website is: http://www.chaffhaye.com/

Alfalfa pellets here run ~ $9/bag for the small alfalfa meal pellets.  The sheep have no choking problem if they are mixed with whole grains.   I also use a larger fiber length  better quality alfalfa pellet that runs ~$12/bag.  I think these would a bit too large for sheep to chew.  I rehydrate them before feeding.  The chaffhaye sounds like it would be a good supplement.  This time of year, I am feeding grain and free choice good bermuda hay and a fescue/orchard grass hay.  It's really hard to find good hay in our county - even during the drought we had fog every morning and most hay (not all) around here tends to be moldy, so we drive a ways to get hay (and we have a small truck and can't carry much), so I'm always looking for ways to supplement our hay.

Linda

www.patchworkfibers.com