[Jacob-list] chaff hay???

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 18:31:21 EST 2005

Linda,

  Chaffehaye is alfalfa that is chopped and sprayed with molasses and let  sit for about 10-14 days to begin fermentation---as silage would  be.  It is then double-bagged in an air-tight bag to halt the  process.  Bags are 50# and my sheep eat every single drop.   There is no waste, so when I get 50# bale of that, it is like getting  2-3 50 pound bales of regular hay and a much higher protein content  than what I get around here.

  The product is consistent bag to bag, and the sheep do very well on  it.  I fed a little grain and primarily chaffehaye during the past  2 winters.  My back loved the relief of no mucking out sheep yards  and areas.  I went out every month or so and raked poop  pellets.  WHEW!

  Product tends to run in the 10-12 dollars per bag.  I think I have paid up to 10 most of the time when purchasing it.

  I can't get alfalfa pellets here, so can't guestimate that price comparison.

  MEH

Linda <patchworkfibers at alltel.net> wrote:      I need someone else to answer this.   I thought it was ensilaged alfalfa, but now I'm not sure.   Mary Ellen, you said you use it.  What exactly is it? Also  wonder how it compares to alfalfa pellets as far as price.

  Linda

  www.patchworkfibers.com

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 22:28:44 -0500, Susan J Martin wrote:
> What is chaffe hay?
>
> Sue Martin
>
> Stonecroft Manor
> "The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep...They all shout and
> sing for joy!"     Psa. 65:13

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool