[Jacob-list] Some questions

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 17:19:23 EST 2005

Bill,

I can help with questions 2 & 3.  In my opinion, the Federal  Voluntary
Scrapie Flock Certification Program (VSFCP) is wonderful! We are  in our 4th year
and after 5 years hope to have our flock certified as "scrapie  free".  It
requires accurate record keeping and some paperwork but  well worth it.  As for
other info, your county extension office may be  a good source of reference for
various things but I have found them lacking in  the sheep department in our
area.  Your state's Dept. of Agriculture and  USDA are great resources to begin
with.

As far as requirements for transportation across state lines,  federal  law
dictates EVERY sheep used for breeding purposes MUST be identified and  tagged
with a scrapie tag.  Some use free tags supplied by their state  Department of
Agriculture but we use a button style tag as part of the federal  VSFCP.
Furthermore, EVERY state in the lower 48
REQUIRES a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection in order to travel either
within the state of across state lines.  There are NO exceptions to  this rule
but not everyone adheres to this requirement.  Plus, each state  varies greatly
on other requirements for shipping sheep -- mainly on the  receiving of sheep.

As for specifics, the following website link will provide to you the
information you are looking for as to each state's requirements for transporting
sheep.  You need to find out what is mandatory for your state in order to  bring
sheep in, not about the state you may be purchasing from.  Some  states only
require the scrapie tag and vet papers while others require permits  and
possibly other tests.  Here is the address: _http://www.aphis.usda.gov_
(http://www.aphis.usda.gov)

I know New York requires a test for blue tongue within 30 days of travel,
South Dakota requires a permit plus a negative brucellosis test within 45 days
of shipping and the list goes on.  Florida is a stickler for conducting  phy
sical searches and sorting thru critters and paperwork in order to make sure
everything is in order.  I certainly would hate to travel a long  way only to
have an animal impounded and quarantined for lack of  supporting documentation.
I've always been one to err on the side of  caution whenever possible.

Hope this helps!  Good luck -- Cheryl
Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits