[Jacob-list] rams together

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Dec 5 08:40:20 EST 2005

We've always maintained a larger number of breeding rams than most folks  and
we have rarely had a problem with ram confrontations, save one.  My
experience has taught me to work in odd numbers whenever possible -- this  way, each
ram has two others (or more) to size up, which is better than  going head to
head with one another.

We utilize an 8x8 pen and reintroduce our rams to each other after breeding
season.  Depending on the ram, we have utilized this set up for 3 days or  as
long as 2 weeks if rams are of same age and not born here.  We place the  rams
in the pen and use straw bales to take up the extra space, only allowing
them enough room to stand up, turn around an lie down.  The  straw eliminates
area for backing up in preparing for a hit but also turn  into bedding as they
circle one another in the pen.  For the first few  hours (not done in summer),
we do not hay or water since both items can fuel  competition.  We add them
only after the group seems to have cooled their  jets.  This is normally after
only a few hours. Each  day, we remove (or take apart) any intact bales of
straw, one PER  DAY.  In most cases, this method works well in a few days so we've
stayed  with it. We have used this method with up to 7 rams at one time and
have always  had good results.

Our only problem resulted in our first year when we put two mature rams of
equal ranking together with no other rams.  Looking back, I should have  used
some ram lambs or something because even after 10 days, they fought
constantly.  The 4 horn pounded a way out of the wooden pen.   When the 2 horn tried to
emerge from the same exit, the 4 horn was waiting,  hitting him squarely in
the side of the head, breaking his neck.  My  favorite ram of all times died in
my arms minutes later.  I  almost killed the other ram myself but managed to
keep my wits about  me.  Heartbreaking to say the least and a very hard lesson
to learn.   This past summer, we introduced an "unknown to our flock" older
ram to younger  ram group (2-4 yrs) using the same method for six days -- no
problems after  turning them out together in their ram paddock.

I firmly believe that temperament plays a HUGE issue in the flock as a
whole.  I've been blessed with my first ram being a quiet, laid back fellow  and
the trait is evident in all his off spring.  I do not tolerate  aggressiveness
of rams towards people and have only experienced this on rare  occasion when a
ram was brought in from outside the flock in years past.   That kind of
temperament earn him the coveted title of "King Sausage" and  we are done with that!
 I was fortunate there to have had that ram  only sire ewes, which had a
variety of personalities from gentle and quiet to,  at worst, stand-offish with
people.

As for ewe temperament, we have a wide assortment here at Painted  Rock.  I
personally like having some people friendly ewes around.  I  do not like ewes
that are so freaked out by anything that blows across their  path,  they will
bolt and take out everything in their path,  which includes people if
necessary.  Some people, I guess, don't mind  that kind of wary nature so I'm more than
happy to part with a  ewe like that.

I have had one ewe that I parted with right into the freezer because she  was
so totally unpredictable and often times, unsafe to be around in my  opinion.
 Her dam was never like that (nor the sire) and neither  has ever produced
any off spring that flighty before or  since.   This ewe was flighty to say the
least and would take the  flock places I never wanted them to go.  Plus, a few
of the more wary of  people ewes we have would follow suit immediately.  Once
in the barn, for  vaccines, worming or whatever, that one ewe would bash
everyone out of her way  to find an escape route.  My husband cornered her (it was
her turn for foot  trimming) and she leaped in the air to get past him.
Fortunately, Mike was  quick on feet and caught her mid-stream at the height of
his head -- he is 6  feet tall.  That day, I decided it just wasn't worth
keeping her. I  certainly didn't want another shepherd having to endure the assaults
of this ewe  so we butchered her -- problem solved.

Anyway, just my two cents worth! -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits