[Jacob-list] breeding season over.... rams together?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sun Dec 4 19:11:44 EST 2005

Even though I haven't often put adult rams together, I have always put ram lambs in with adult rams after breeding.  I have never (bear in mind that I've a small flock - so my "never" is limited) seen an adult ram harm in any way a ram lamb - even after they both have been with ewes.

When I kept the rams separate from each other, they were in runs where they can see each other with a small lane between the runs and they all did well.

I admit to being wimpy about putting adult rams together. I do realize that it's unusual for a ram to kill another ram, but it's not unheard of.   I have two adult rams here (Georgia) at the moment - one traveled from Oregon and one from Pennsylvania. They would not be easily replaced - both because of their bloodlines and because of the logistics of sheep delivery.  Neither ram has displayed any aggression and since I just don't have anyplace here to run the rams separately I thought it would work and it did.  I doubt that Chancellor, the teenager, would agree as he went from top dog to bottom dog.  The baby ram and the wether are so totally ignored by both adults that they aren't even in the pecking order.

Linda