[Jacob-list] breeding season over.... rams together?

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 12:09:08 EST 2005

--Mary Ellen wrote:
>Rams are much better off in groups, whether they are with girls or with
other boys.
===========
Glad we are on this subject.  I just started with two rams this fall.  I
have an old 10-yr-old ram and now a young 9-month-old ram.  Both are still
separated in their breeding groups.  Now I want to put everyone together so
they have access to the barn for shelter.  I am hesitant because I don't
want any bloodshed.  The information on this list has been very helpful.

I also have two adult wethers, two lamb wethers (freezer lambs) and three
castrated rams (castrated after sexual maturity so the horns can grow).
The old ram is in charge, but the next in charge is one of the older
wethers.  The castrated rams, which should be acting more like intact rams,
both are meek and act like wethers.  In February, I separate the boys from
the girls and they stay in separate groups until October breeding season.
The eight boys get along, but sometimes there is some loud head butting,
sounds like two wild mountain sheep rams.  The old ram lost the tip of one
horn but there has been no deaths or serious injuries.  I hope all goes
well when I let the ram lamb and his ewes in with the main group today.
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho