[Jacob-list] breeding season over.... rams together?

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 06:00:11 EST 2005

Meg,

  A LOT has to be said for the personality of the ram.  Some rams  are just plainly gentlemen, while others are about as valuable as an  ice cube in Antarctica.  I have selected rams not only for  bloodline, but also kept those with mild temperaments.

  The ONLY reason that Hark is here comes because of his bloodlines (he  has the "other stuff" a Jacob needs like fleece, spots, horns,  etc.).  He has not been aggressive with humans, but he has the  attitude of a teenage cocky streetwise punk.  It didn't surprise  me that he would be the primary aggressor in the group of 4 rams.

  It also didn't surprise me that Hunter would repeatedly position  himself to be between those rams that were fighting at any point as he  is not a fighter.  His blocks stopped many a run by the boys at  each other.

  I see progeny of aggressive natured rams much more commonly  aggressive.  I see progeny of calm natured rams much more commonly  calm-natured.  Calm and aggressive doesn't have much to do with  dominance position (Hunter is the boss out there).

  Rams are much better off in groups, whether they are with girls or with other boys.

  Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool