[Jacob-list] breeding season over....

Mary Hansson buffgeese at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 20:09:25 EST 2005

Hi,

  I took the 2 rams out this afternoon and put them with the other 2  adults here at the place.  All 4 rams were put in a 4 x 6 lambing  pen.  Writing to Linda a few minutes ago, I remembered they were  still in there.  It has been raining and is pretty cold outside,  so I thought I would see if they had cooled off.

  They looked like they were cooled down.

  Ronan was down with a lateral stuck in a wrung of the lambing jug, but  otherwise fine.  I opened the fence up so they could get out of  the 8 x 8 area the lambing jug was in.

  Hark just had not cooled off enough yet, and decided that he was going  to take out Merlin.  Merlin took a couple nasty facial hits with  Harkäs top horns before his age and fighting experience kicked in.

  It was fascinating watching him actively size up and assess Hark.   In fact, the final hit came after Merlin stopped in mid forward running  strike.  He stood still for a moment.  He backed up and  repositioned himself to come in lower than normal.  This was  effective, and Hark suddenly received a few activated brain cells along  with a nose bleed.

  Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Hansson, MEd, RD, LDN
ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Lambs, adults, wool