[Jacob-list] Using vinegar

ARTHUR PARTRIDGE aztreaz at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 17:46:36 EST 2005

--Fred wrote:
>A spray bottle filled with vinegar may be used as a "weapon" against
agressive rams and pushy ewes.  Set on the "mist" setting, a shot >or two
in the face will turn the ram or ewe, cause them to shake their head and
move away.
==========
Thanks.  I noticed that when I fill the sheep water bucket with the hose,
the ram doesn't like the spray.  He shakes his head and backs off.  Here is
something interesting from another list about apple cider vinegar:

quote from an article in The Banner Sheep Magazine, Vol. 28 No.2,
March 2005. In an article by Marlene Bell titled "Dorset Falls - The
Natural Way" about raising Dorsets, she states "Out of desperation one can
come across some interesting information on natural remedies. After being
inundated with two years of nothing but ram lambs we decided to take a
horse-woman's advice and introduce Apple Cider Vinegar into our breeding
regimen. We were told not only did it increase fertility it was commonly
used to produce more female offspring. Now, before you say, "That's a bunch
of hooey" we have tried it with terrific results. The vinegar is added to
the breeding flock's drinking water each day without fail. Not only did we
see a marked improvement in the number of ewes born, our multiple births
went through the roof."
********
Cathy Partridge
Moscow, Idaho