[Jacob-list] Endophyte infected fescue and horn development -Neal?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Aug 26 20:55:47 EDT 2005

Fescue hay will have a toxic effect if it was cut mature, and more so in hot weather. When it comes right down to it, though, most year-round grazing schemes will have some fescue as an insurance crop when the weather gets bad. Many beef producers also rely on stock-piled fescue for the winter months...something you can not do with most other forages.

Yes, we did seed Max Q fescue. The seed costs about the same as alfalfa; however, it looks like it will form a good stand, and alfalfa starts playing out in four years or so. We over-seeded the fescue at a low rate in an established stand of alfalfa. This year, the hay from the field is about 1/3 fescue. (And about 1/3 crab-grass and fall panicum...)

Neal