[Jacob-list] Endophyte infected fescue and horn development -Neal?

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Aug 26 16:17:49 EDT 2005

Sorry I missed comment the first time around.(1) Fescue endophyte toxicity here in the Southeast is more of a problem in the summer and is specifically a mold toxin that is most active in mature plants during heat stress. It is different from the ergot fungus. Endophyte is a beneficial symbiot to the fescue, and is spread by seed. The endophyte makes the fescue more able to withstand heat and draught stress. The toxicity reduces insect damage.

The good news is that there are different variants of the endophyte, with different degrees of toxicity.  I planted a "toxic free" variety last year that seems to be doing well and has high palatability. It is approved for feeding to lactating mares, which most fescues are NOT.

Neal Grose

(1) Hal the computer down-loaded an update on its McAee software that practically shut down its operations. Is that the way it is supposed to work?