[Jacob-list] Custom mixed feed?

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Sat Aug 20 21:35:33 EDT 2005

I have been mixing my feed for about 10 years. We do have a mill in town and I may give them a try - although I think the feed comes out finer than I'd like. For a brief time, I used Godfrey's Sheep Feed, a regional premix.  Because the label mentioned copper, I called and asked the mill just how much copper.  They couldn't tell me - just said that they included a mineral mix that was fine for sheep, so I sent a sample off to UGA for analysis.  It came back balanced for sheep and I felt that feeding a mineral mix on the side would have disrupted the balance.  I don't read the feed bag tags every time I feed.  I had some problems with weak lambs the next spring and was appalled abit later to notice that Godfrey's was no longer adding minerals.  I called and they said someone had complained, so they quit adding them.  I'm still fuming over that.

During the last couple months of gestation, I'm back to using a mix of whole corn, whole oats, wheat bran, soybean meal and molasses for the ewes and later for the lambs.  We don't feed molasses to rams.  If you feed your own mix, you will need to offer a free choice mineral mix.  I've read varying opinions on feeding whole soybeans to sheep.  I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on the topic.

Linda
Getting ready for 2006 lambs!
www.patchworkfibers.com