[Jacob-list] How do I lower a fever

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 16:27:00 EDT 2005

Always check for a temperature BEFORE giving meds.

Rectal temperature in a sheep averages 103 degrees.  Anything above  103.5
could be cause for alarm anything lower than 102 can also be cause for  concern.

Not sure about your area but it is EXTREMELY hot in our neck of the  woods.
Our sheep pant and seem to breath faster than normal simply b/c  they are hot
and trying to cool themselves.

A high temperature can come from a range of things but is most often from
some type of infection somewhere in the body. After verifying an accurate
rectal temperature on your sheep, make sure you do a go hands on inspection -
check for small wounds, punctures perhaps from a sharp object, bite would or the
like.  An abscess can result from this type of injury and would likely  cause
a temp.  If you do not find anything out of the ordinary in your  animal,
consult with your veterinarian for additional suggestions, instructions  and
possible medicine recommendations.

Good Luck -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits