[Jacob-list] guard dogs/family dogs

SKimbro sheri at eldoradohoney.com
Tue Aug 9 12:35:55 EDT 2005

Hi all,

This time I'd like to start a discussion about dogs.  We are getting a dog but haven't yet decided what breed best fits our needs.  I thought I'd poll the group and see what you guys have, what has worked with you and what hasn't.

Let me tell you what I have and what I need/want and then let your suggestions fly.  I have 2 boys, 10 and 8, so young but not little.  We have llamas, sheep, goats, chickens and cats.  (Retrievers are out, we figured they'd bring us a chicken on the door step daily,,,no thanks.)  We've read really good things about the Pyrenees and Anatolians.  But we also are considering a German Shepard because we are familiar with the breed and know what to expect.  We've also read about the Swiss Mountain dogs "Swissy's",,,,,those sound alot like the other to breeds (pyrs and AS).  We want a dog that will guard but will also be a family pet.  Is that a realistic expectation?

Any thoughts would be great.

Sheri Kimbro
Ranch Abella
Shingle Springs, CA