[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Aug 4 07:14:54 EDT 2005

Regarding dogs/coyotes.......we recently had an incident here in Lancaster County where a  dog was harrassing a farmer's cows...the farmer complained but the problem continued.  This  dog was a family pet and the owner's were "suburbanites" and not very farming savvy.  The dog continued to harrass the dairy cows and the farmer then took things into his own hands......he decided to use a pellet gun to "scare" away the dog.....but instead the dog was killed.  The dog owners are outraged and pressing charges......and the poor farmer now has to plead his case before authorities.    Incidentally, if I remember correctly, this dog was a border collie -- an animal genetically bred to "herd" animals and an animal requiring a lot of daily exercise and work.

Sadly, it is becoming more and more difficult for farmers to coexist with "other folks"......many, many people move here from urban areas to raise their families in the country ........ and then they complain about the smell of manure, large farm equipment on the roads, fertilizers, etc. ...... and unfortunately these folks are typically very savvy regarding the legal system and litigation.

Sue Martin
Stonecroft