[Jacob-list] Spinning

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat Apr 30 22:44:28 EDT 2005

I have indeed spun cow. We have a couple of Scottish Highlands, and for fun several years ago I clipped one (with cow clippers) and spun the hair. I was able to get a decent novelty yarn. Based on my experience I would suggest:
* Clip the animal BEFORE it starts to shed. Cattle mat (felt) first and shed second.
* It will work better if you use the inner down layer rather than the guard fibers.
* If possible, blend it with a small amount of wool of similar length.
* Card or comb the hair and spin it "in the grease". Washing it before you spin will yield a nice ball of cow felt.

Neal Grose
North Carolina