[Jacob-list] question on horns

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Fri Apr 29 12:49:22 EDT 2005

Sheep seem to be more complicated than cattle on horns. In Polled Dorsets (developed at good ol' NCSU by Dr. Goode, who taught both my Father and me in Ag Science) the polled gene is recessive, which allowed it to be bred into the population rather quickly since there were no pesky recessive undesirable traits (horns) to stay hidden in the population. Crossing Polled Dorsets to polled Finnsheep can produce horns on rare occasions.

There is a New Zealand "rug wool" sheep breed that was developed from the (polled) Romney breed. Something about the breeding for coarser wool inadvertently caused increased horn development.

The "hornless" (as opposed to polled) Jacobs that we have tracked are smooth headed with no scurs or poll indentations. These are hornless ONLY in the ewes. The rams in these families remain strongly horned. This is the same expression in traits that we see in Shetlands. It seems to be both sex-linked and recessive.

My guess is that the SUED trait relates to a split in the cranium plates, and the splitting of horn buds are secondary to this. This might account for Mary Ellen's ram lamb that is polycerate AND two horned. Hey MEH, care to put the joker in the freezer just so that we can see what his skull looks like?

Neal Grose