[Jacob-list] Just when I thought PETA was bad...

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 06:41:56 EDT 2005

Nice point!  Often times ignorance knows no boundaries -- this would  include
demographic & geographic location.  I agree with you that it  isn't only a
city person issue.

I don't know what everyone else's situation is but around this area, it
seems not to be a "city" people problem but one of a "generational" issue.   What
I mean is, our kids are brought up in a different type of world than the
previous generation.  Many realize that traditional farms are becoming more  of an
exception than the norm any more -- there are exceptions, of course.   Also,
if you ask teenagers and children these days about animals in general they  do
have a different outlook on things.

Specifically in my area of WV, animals are viewed as property and most of
the laws we have reflected that.  However, in my work at the shelter,  classes
have come from various schools and kids view animals more on a companion
level.  Neither is wrong -- just different.  Not everyone has the same  "its just
an animal" viewpoint as some of the old times in my area.  Then  again, animals
are NOT human beings.  I have however known a few human  beings who seem more
like animals!

What concerns me about PETA is its "terrorist" classification and its huge
legal department -- this organization is determined to elevate all animals and
their "rights" even above that of humans.  I am a firm believer in animal
WELFARE, which is concern for the treatment of animals but animal RIGHTS, IN MY
OPINION, carries the issue too far.  I also know a few PETA fans and I'm  not
impressed in the least.  These same people who believe you must shut  down
every animal related food, wool type farm or industry are the SAME exact  people
who support abortion.  Go figure!  Plus, the ones I know think  nothing over
NOT spaying or neutering their pets, that litters of puppies and  kittens are
just the way "nature" intended things.  I could go on there but  this isn't a
topic for the Jacob sheep list.  Again, only my  opinion but in GENESIS, God
gave man dominion over animals.  While  it is certainly a huge responsibility
to properly care for our animals (of all  sorts), I do not believe animals can
or should be elevated in their "status"  over a human being.

Our responsibility as shepherds is to care our for flock and educate others
about this rare breed -- there are obvious differences in comparison to other
breeds.  City dwellers,  farm folk or someone in between can still be
ignorant of these facts.  Education is a powerful tool!

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits