Subject: [Jacob-list] Just when I thought PETA was bad...

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 13:35:16 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/28/2005 9:00:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacob-list-request at jacobsheep.com writes:
Speaking of PETA, I just received the May/June issue of Sheep! Magazine which
contains a very thought provoking article by the Editor, Nathan Griffith,
regarding PETA and their current, active campaign to end the trade in sheep
products and convince the world that any use of sheep is abuse.  If you can get a
copy of the article I'd highly suggest reading it since it's an issue which may
eventually affect all of us.

PETA is very powerful and is financially well endowed by donations from well
meaning animal lovers.  Unfortunately the International sheep industry does
not have the finances to fund a public rebuttal of PETA's campaign.  Mr.
Griffith suggests that the best way to curtail their activities, in the US at least,
would be to remove their nonprofit status and that the place to start would be
with individual sheep owners sending respectful letters, postcards or e-mails
to their Congressmen and Senators to request "that the tax code be corrected
to end the tax-free privilege for groups who attack lawful, taxpaying trades
using the pretext of 'charity'.  For evidence of PETA's agenda he suggests
citing PETA's website www.woolisbaad.com [when I typed that in a site titled
www.savethesheep.com came up]. In his article he provides a short sample letter
which can be sent to your Representatives.  I just visited sheep!'s website
[www.sheepmagazine.com] to see if the article is there but the site hasn't been
updated from the previous issue yet.

Anyway, don't mean to turn this into a soap box, but just yesterday as I
walked through our barn yard and watched the lambs playing, I was reminded again
of how much joy my sheep bring me.  The idea that a misinformed organization
who knows nothing about us, our sheep, or our husbandry practices might
eventually garner enough public support to be able to affect our ability to keep sheep
both saddens and scares me.

Hope I didn't offend anyone - just spent the last day ruminating (no pun
intended) on this matter and felt it important enough to mention.  I promise to
drop the subject now :)
Regards,
Karen Lobb