[Jacob-list] Just when I thought PETA was bad...

Paintedrockfarm at aol.com Paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 06:02:31 EDT 2005

As a Humane Officer for a local shelter, I can honestly attest to vast
"abuse" of this system of reporting animal neglect.  Unfortunately, some  people
want to call Animal Control just to have something to do when real cases  of
neglect go unreported.  Like your case, its most often "reporter's  ignorance"
that causes the vast majority of livestock reports.  You can't  imagine the
reports that come in to our shelter facility -- mainly from ignorant  people who
honestly don't know the first thing about animal care.  There  are true cases
of abuse and neglect and often times the owners are the ignorant  ones!  Sad
but true.

By West Virginia State Law, Animal Control is required to follow up and
investigate every single report made to their office.  In most cases, the  officer
can use his/her general discretion when trying to determine if the  reporting
is more like harassment or in the form of misplaced concern rather  than
neglect.  Repeated "reports", especially when they come from the same  people
about the same people is actually grounds for a criminal complaint  against the
caller for harassment -- at least in WV it is.  Another thing  is most sheriff
departments are also trained Humane Officers -- at least here in  WV they are
-- and they can be a great ally when a REAL case of investigation is
warranted.  Again, they are required to follow up on cases reported as  abuse/neglect
-- they cannot risk "blowing it off" and there actually be  violations involved.

Being willing to allow inspections is an excellent opportunity to educate
folks about Jacobs.  They do look different because the ARE different and  they
do have different needs than commercial sheep breeds.  CHRIS -- kudos  to you
for being so gracious to the sheriff/deputy.  You deserved the  apology call
-- I'm just kind of surprised they offered one! I hope no one has  to deal with
false claims like that but, unfortunately, it does  happen.

Just my two cents, for what its worth! -- Cheryl

Mike  & Cheryl Terrano
_Painted  Rock Farm_ (http://members.aol.com/paintedrockfarm)
Route 4 Box 726
Buckhannon, WV  26201-9205
(304) 457-6620
_paintedrockfarm at aol.com_ (http://paintedrockfarm@aol.com/)
Breeders of Registered Jacob Sheep & French Angora  Rabbits