[Jacob-list] Last lamb not doing well

Kelly Przylepa and Rich Moore kellyandrich at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 9 09:23:37 EDT 2005

We just had our last ewe last night. She had twins- a ram & ewe lamb. The
ram lamb was vigorous, nursing etc. The ewe lamb was not observed nursing,
getting up very little & when placed several times to the mom's nipple,
would not nurse. The mom has an unusual udder-  she kind of has double
nipples on each side, one larger than the other & both produce milk. We
milked out some colustrum & tube fed her twice & have now attempted to
bottle feed her several times (every 2 hours) but never really latches on or
sucks. WE have also given her lamb nutria drench several times. I have ended
up using a small syringe to squirt milk in. She can stand & walk but is not
very active.  She is urinating but have not seen her pass meconium (although
she has an anus). She trembles (?seizures ?hypothermia) when she is being
fed.

Any thoughts to what is causing her problem & any solutions? I think she may
have suffered some hypoxia or brain insult to cause the sucking problem. I
feel like I may be prolonging the life of an unsalvageable lamb.

Kelly P

Firefly Farm

Glenville, PA