[Jacob-list] Digging Jacobs....

Christopher Brantley labradorridgejacobs at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 20:50:03 EDT 2005

I've a slight problem starting up this spring with my Jacobs.

Let me start back in the winter when I moved them into a new pasture. I left many Locust trees to provide shade in the summer and grow to sufficient breadth for posts in the future. It was no big deal when they decided they liked the taste of the bark and ringed all the trees from the ground up to about 5-6 feet. Even to the human taste the bark has a sweet flavor and is enjoyed as a subsitute for chewing tobacco for the old men in the mountains.

The problem I'm encountering is the Jacobs started digging holes in the Locust groves last week. This week they're digging in theopen pasture areas. I at first thought I had some pest (rats, groundhogs, skunks, etc.) ruining the pasture. Then I caught the Jacobs pawing holes this afternoon.

Has anyone else encountered digging Jacobs, and is there a way to at least slow them down if not stop them?

-Christopher C. Brantley