[Jacob-list] lamb weight and wool loss

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Tue Apr 5 20:37:44 EDT 2005

I have one ewe that, somewhere around the first of Feb. each year, starts
shedding off wool. It starts around her neck and works its way to chest,
then shoulders and, if I wait long enough to shear, her sides.  She winds up
with long trailing ribbons of wool hanging off of her like the shredded
dress of some wooly zombie in a horror movie.  No skin problems, she just
doesn't like to wait to start getting rid of her winter woolies. She seems
to feel the heat more than the other ewes in the summer, I wonder if it's
connected.  I keep expecting, if I didn't shear her, to find that she would
shed her wool and be running around in little cotton undies, saying "boy,
what a relief".
Melody