[Jacob-list] Se Questions

Christopher Brantley brantleychristopher at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 08:30:03 EDT 2004

Hello from the wet, soggy mountains of North Carolina; where it's wet and
still better than anywhere else I've ever lived! I now have goats climbing
trees and Jacobs swimming through meadows chasing mountain trout. Which is
better than three towns over where they have volvos in creeks and fecal
coliform in wells. As things start drying out here, the leaves are changing
colors and the nip of night frosts is encroaching... and I'm trying to get
everything put together for the winter with two goats and four ewes that
seem to think my sole purpose in being in the pasture is to scratch their
jaws and tummy.

I am certain that some of you guys live in areas with Selenium deficiencies
... what standard supplements in diet do you compensate with? When do you
give the BOSe injections (only as lambing approaches)? It was suggested by
our Ag extension Service to use salt blocks with Selenium and to add a loose
mineral salt with Selenium in the feed once a week. Not sure if that'll be
adequate or not.

Thanks,
-Chris