[Jacob-list] toothless sheep

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Fri May 21 16:55:34 EDT 2004

All I really know about the ewe is that she was at Edd Bissell's in June of 1999 and had all her teeth at that time.  I
did check to see if she had all her teeth, but other than confirming that she was an adult, I'm afraid I'm not that
good at mouthing sheep.  I wouldn't have thought she was 15 at that time, but maybe.  She was in very good shape,
having been on excellent pasture.  She's in pretty shape now and has a healthy lamb, but does require some extra
rations.  She's actually in better condition than a 9 year old that is nursing twins.

I'd be interested in how many teenage and 20+ sheep are out there.  My oldest, not counting Beulah, are 9 and I don't
foresee retiring either of them anytime soon.

Junco, my six year old ram, is missing a front tooth.  That looks like an injury to me and doesn't affect his grazing
or graining in any way.  It gives him an "Opie Taylor" sort of grin.

Linda

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:38:22 EDT, Jacobflock at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/19/2004 4:28:33 PM Central Standard Time,
>patchworkfibers at alltel.net writes:
>
>I know there are contributing factors other than age, but could someone hazard
>a guess on just how old a toothless ewe might be?
>
>A narrow perspective from our flock: Vanna at 13 has good teeth; Angie 16 or
>17 has missing front teeth and fair molars, Veronica at 15 has good teeth.
>This suggests that the ewe you describe could be 20 (?) but other factors come
>into play: the strength of her teeth and bite allignment, her diet and perhaps
>even calcium loss thru pregnancy.  Is there any pedigree info (when she
>lambed) that might reflect age?
>
>A question: how many Jacobs among the listers are over 20 years old and do the
>20+ers seem to be ewes rather than rams?
>
>Fred Horak

Visit our lambs!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2004lambs.html
Patchwork Farm in NE Georgia