[Jacob-list] toothless sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri May 21 15:38:22 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/19/2004 4:28:33 PM Central Standard Time,
patchworkfibers at alltel.net writes:

> I know there are contributing factors other than age, but could someone
> hazard a guess on just how old a toothless ewe
> might be?

A narrow perspective from our flock: Vanna at 13 has good teeth; Angie 16 or
17 has missing front teeth and fair molars, Veronica at 15 has good teeth.
This suggests that the ewe you describe could be 20 (?) but other factors come
into play: the strength of her teeth and bite allignment, her diet and perhaps
even calcium loss thru pregnancy.  Is there any pedigree info (when she
lambed) that might reflect age?

A question: how many Jacobs among the listers are over 20 years old and do
the 20+ers seem to be ewes rather than rams?

Fred Horak