[Jacob-list] Auctions

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at mindspring.com
Wed May 19 09:03:17 EDT 2004

We are fortunate to be in a good market area.  We have taken only wethers to our local auction "Cowtown"  but sell most of our rams or wethers to private people.  At present time the market is high at 2.25 and low at 1.60 a lb. So on the farm we can sell them at $1.60 lb. and we are all happy.  Mostly our culled ewes we use for our own freezer.  this way no culls are out there.We know our buyers and know that they are putting the rams into meat immediately for their own use.
Some years it is better than others.  We went to the auction just enough times for the buyers to know us and since we are only 10 minutes away, the come.
Edie