[Jacob-list] chickens and sheep

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue May 4 08:15:13 EDT 2004

Last week I noticed two of "our" free range hens had new chicks.  I haven't the foggiest idea what kind of hens these
are, but they are more of a primitive, wild looking chicken - nothing like the Buff Orpingtons that I have.

Sunday morning it was raining and I looked out the window to see all the sheep standing in the rain looking into the 8
x 16 run in shed.  They were all just lined up in the rain.  One lamb ventured in and immediately came running out.
Then a ewe started to walk in and did a comic back peddling retreat.  By this time, I figure I need to go out there and
fight the bear that must be in the shed.  Nope - one mad mother hen was holding off 26 sheep!  Later that day I heard
my 80 lb Shar Pei/Pit Bull yelping and looked out to see Lucy, tail between her legs, running as fast as she could,
with the same hen hard at her heels.

Linda
Visit our lambs!
http://www.patchworkfibers.com/2004lambs.html