[Jacob-list] Shearing ??

Cathy Robinson perfectspot at blueridge.net
Wed Mar 31 22:41:44 EST 2004

To those of you who shear early:  How do your sheep shear at an early
shearing date?

We sheared about a week and a half ago.  Our shearer really likes
shearing them better in April....he says they shear cleaner, fleeces
come off easier, and the sheep end up with a more even shear.  Some of
the fleeces were difficult to get through when we did ours in mid-March
and those sheep look a little rough cut as result.

Do you notice this when you shear early, or just ignore it?

We had a cold front with strong winds move through the day after
shearing.  A couple of girls were shivering...the few with little fat
reserve. Most of the sheep did seek shelter from the wind and slept in a
tighter group (in/near the shelter) for warmth.  We have an advantage
here in that the cold weather this time of year is never long-lasting,
even though we do experience yo-yo temperatures.  After that cold front,
we were hovering near 80 for several days last week.  Now, snow is
predicted in nearby locations tonight!

Cathy
Perfect Spot Farm