[Jacob-list] Re: Iodine

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 15:25:59 EST 2004

Hi Kelley...7% iodine is evil stuff.  or more accurately the alcohol in it
is.  A few years back I spilled some on overalls I was wearing for lambing. It
soaked through into my jeans and onto my leg where it stayed awhile until I
noticed indoors. The resulting burn was both painful and a while healing...it
dries TOO fast.

Also, Davis in the US did some research a while back on foals showing that
the extra fast drying actually locked in some bacteria into the cords rather
than killing them properly on the surface. Also the burning caused sloughing and
sometimes abcessing.

2% iodine, or betadine solution, or chlorohexidine do the job along with
excellent husbandry.  Chlorohexidine has been shown to provide some residual
bacterial inhibition. An iodine solution with too high a pH can support bugs. The
case I remember was a really bad case of repeated navel /joint ill in a large
commercial flock where the vets traced it back to the communal bottle of
iodine.

I don't like the strong iodine especially with little boys. Anyone use
anything other than nothing or iodine?

Trisha, Wales