[Jacob-list] lamb navels & eating lambs

Kelly Przylepa and Rich Moore kellyandrich at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 14 08:53:32 EST 2004

Did someone post something to the list about using iodine in a spray bottle
and simply spraying the newborn lamb's umbilical cord. I have been
collecting our lambing stuff as our ewes are about to deliver. Last year, I
tried the dip the cord in the small cup and then invert onto the lamb's
belly- what a mess. Spraying it on would be a lot easier.

Kelly

P.S. About eating lambs- we moved to the 'country' and got our small flock 2
years ago. We had always had companion animals  in the city and suburbs
where we lived. We decided to become 'real' farmers and butcher any lambs we
did not need. From the beginning, we designated one of the two ram lambs
born last year that he was bound for the freezer. Our children were also
well aware of this fact. We even named him (I know you should not generally
name an animal designated for slaughter but he was Shish ka bob or Bob for
short). There were no tears associated with his departure from me or my kids
(unlike when one of our companion animal dies). He is now in the freezer and
we have been enjoying him all winter. It is a comfort that I know exactly
what went into him and I know my family is not eating any antibiotics, or
artificial hormones, or whatever else...So even us city wimps have learned
that "it's a good thing" (quoting that famous homemaker:)).