[Jacob-list] jugging

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 6 10:34:31 EST 2004

My younger ewes stay out of the way. Any of them not pregnant seem to
form new friendships and run together. The ewes that are lambing stay
closer to the barn, most of my barn becomes a nursery. I start putting
out alfalfa for new mothers (of, course, everyone else wants some, too)
and there can be a mob scene when I go out in the mornings. The lambs
flee to the outside walls or the back stall, out of the way of all the
ewes. If the weather is nice, they all play outside the barn. They hook
back up with their moms after breakfast. I've also noticed the yearling
ewes are not as mean to a curious lamb as other mothers tend to be.

Last year, I had female llamas in with lambing ewes (not this year
because of space considerations). The llamas always watched the births
from a distance and then would go over and sniff the new lamb(s). I am
told this is their way of welcoming them into the herd. It kinda
freaked out some of the ewes, but they got over it. The llamas were
very careful not to step on anybody. After the lambs got older, I would
see some of the lambs jump. play and even sleep on the llamas. One of
the llamas became a first time mother last May. After watching all
those lambs being born, she kept licking her lips and tilting her head,
like she was trying to figure out if she was supposed to clean her
cria, it was very funny (llamas don't touch their babies at birth, they
dry naturally in the sun and then get up to nurse).
Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre Farm
Oakland, Oregon