[Jacob-list] Re-introductions

ACAMDA at aol.com ACAMDA at aol.com
Fri Mar 5 11:18:36 EST 2004

This question is for those of you who use guard donkeys, guard llamas, or
guard dogs for your Jacobs.

This is our first year to use a guard donkey.  We separated Sophie out from
the pregnant ewes after one of them went into labor and Sophie acted nervous
and would not let the ewe stay in the shelter.  We had also heard that the
donkey might see the new lambs as a threat to her charges and become aggressive.

Two ewes have since lambed (3 rams, 1 ewe), with three more to go.  All of
them are now separated into a smaller pen as a "nursery".

Question:  How do you re-introduce the mother and lambs to the donkey?  I
really need suggestions!  So far I've been holding the lambs over the fence so
she can sniff them, but I'm not comfortable yet!

Thanks.

Kathey
Sweet Georgia Valley