[Jacob-list] split eyelid genetics

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Mar 2 19:01:59 EST 2004

I've been communicating with a gentleman that is interested in reading up on the
genetics of split eyelids.  He's got a masters in entomology and is interested in
something with a bit more scientific bent than "I had a ewe with splits that
produced....etc".

It has been mentioned on this list that "we" now believe that split eyelids are
heritable and recessive.  I wonder if someone could point me to the research and/or
published papers that support or explain this?

I've also heard that the split eyelid deformity is a random occurrence related to
the same mechanism that splits the horns.

Thanks

Linda
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
 Registered Jacob Sheep & Angora Rabbits