[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Thu Jun 24 09:13:45 EDT 2004

Linda's story about the ram is just another reminder that we are dealing
with animals with their own minds, instincts, reactions, etc.  Another
aspect of all of this is that our country is not the agrarian society it
once was.......years ago many people lived in rural communities and many
of them were actively involved in agriculture.......and as a result
people were "tuned in" to animals.  Children grew up knowing that it's
not a good idea to walk through the meadow with the bull in it.........or
it's not wise to tease the rooster with the long spurs.....and that the
geese are better left alone, especially if they are nesting.    Children
today, and even adults, have no clue how to relate to animals.......their
information is gleaned from cartoons of animals who speak, have human
characteristics/personalities and thoughts and are always cute and cuddly
except for the occasional villain.  Our meadows are close to a small,
rural park........a place with swings, a pavilion, and a volleyball
court, and occasionally I will see children who have walked through the
woods to our property...........and they stand by the fence looking at
our sheep - on our property.  I try to keep an eye on things..........but
obviously I am not always there to be their guardian angel..........and
hopefully their parents have taught them that "big, spotted lambies with
big horns" are not cute, cuddly toys!!!

Sue Martin
Stonecroft