[Jacob-list] Wool Blankets

Mary Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Tue Jun 15 14:21:15 EDT 2004

I had two blankets woven from the mill on Prince Edward Island.  They are very nice and reasonbly priced, except to have them made from your own wool, you would need to mail 250 lbs.  They take wool in trade and the price is less if done that way, but your fleece is pooled with other fleeces.  The shipping from Ohio for 11 lbs. of wool was about $35.  Even with the shipping costs, the price was very economical.  I personally wanted blankets made from our own fleeces, so will probably not reorder.

I have discovered a mill online which makes blankets that measure 48" x 72".  The warp length needed is 40 yds., and she requires 16 blankets for an order.  I wondered about several people getting together for an order.  The finished blankets are $45-$55.  All we would need to do is send in the required amount of yarn.  I will check the webpage again for details.  I think 2 lbs. of yarn would be needed for each blanket of this size.  At this time, I have our Jacob mill-spun yarn on cones in a two-ply, heather-grey.  I am sure there are other breeders who have had yarn made from their fleeces who could take advantage of a "weaving pool."

Mary Spahr