[Jacob-list] More than four

Linda patchworkfibers at alltel.net
Tue Jun 8 19:29:01 EDT 2004

Well, here's another question.  Fused horns. My personal preference is not for massive ram horns, but for horns that
fit the head.  Zeppo was a very primitive type ram - small boned but still with a definite "boy" head.  Groucho was a
beefy boy with a large head.  (there was a Harpo, but he wasn't here, so I'm not totally sure on him) Both had space
between the tops and laterals at age three.  The circumference of Groucho's horns was larger than the circumference of
Zeppo's horns, but both were quite masculine looking rams.  If Zeppo had Groucho's horns on his head, they would have
been, at the least, fused at the base.
I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that head size would be heritable?  I don't know about horn circumference, but I've
seen mentioned "breeding for massive horns."  If head size and horn circumference are heritable, then I would guess
horns that are fused at the base (as opposed to horns that are parallel fused - the entire length of the horn) would be
heritable?   Has anyone seen a pattern in parallel fused horn heritability?  I always get confused with the term,
"fused horns" as it seems to refer to both horns that are close at the base (and meet at an angle), where one horn
could crowd out and weaken the other and horns that run parallel and pose no threat to each other.

In my small flock, all my observations are just that - observations.  Which make me curious enough to ask questions.

Linda