[Jacob-list] More than four

Neal and Louise Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Jun 8 14:46:28 EDT 2004

Linda's ram's rack is not unusual for us. We have had a larger than average number of sheep with more than four true horns. My feeling is that we make too much of the difference between "scurs", "weak horns" and "true horns". (I am not talking about the true scurs that look almost like scabs. These are sometimes seen in polled animals. I have not seen these on Jacob sheep. Sex-linked 'hornless' are seen in Jacobs from time to time, though they are clearly undesirable.) There seems to be a gradient from one to another type, and the genes for one horn on a sheep's head have to be the same as for the others. I also THINK that the horns always occur GENETICALLY in multiples of two, though we have certainly had some with odd numbers expressed. The most frequently seen of these is a ram with three horns on one side and two and a "bump" between them on the other.

What we are seeing here appears to be a single gene for polycerate. However, the most frequent genetic conditions are trait expressions that are affected by numerous genes. For example: polycerate expression may be strongly modified by a couple of dozen genes that determine head size and shape, horn bud placement,  and who knows what else. This would be an indication that horn shape and placement and so on has a relatively low heritability. There is little guarantee of what you will get from one generation to the other unless you look at an unusually large number of test crosses.

Neal