[Jacob-list] Re: Jacob-list digest, Vol 2 #149 - 1 msg

Kelley Rambo Kelley_Rambo at antiochne.edu
Wed Jun 2 12:59:49 EDT 2004

Hi,

Make sure any goopy soft tissue is cleaned out.  The important thing is to
keep it clean (assuming that the bleeding has stopped at this point).
Other options that I'm aware of for helping with stopping bleeding is
flour (which was suggested by my vet, but IMO makes more of a mess than is
needed), yarrow leaves crushed and applied to the wound (also acts as an
antiseptic), and homeopathic phosphorus (I usually use 30c with the sheep,
with the phosphorus, I would wait at least a half hour in an emergency and
then repeat if there was no change) - pressure is what the Red Cross
recommends, noting that they are assuming an ambulance is on its way.

He probably won't die of stress or the horn breaking off.  I would try to
put him in a rather small pen (lambing pen maybe??), but halter breaking
rams is really helpful.  I try to avoid hanging onto horns whenever
possible - they are great handles, but holding onto them, pulling on them,
etc, seems to cause the sheep to behave worse.  Halters are great.

There is risk of infection - it's important that you keep up with this -
keeping it quite clean.  Pus is likely to form as any sort of
hay/grass/dirt that gets in it will cause it and that it is connected to
the sinuses.  I would suggest watching it for a few days, using whatever
wound stuff you use (bacitracin, calendula spray is very helpful with
these sorts of things).  I would also HIGHLY recommend the homeopathic
remedy calendula.  I gave my ram one 200c dose and his horn cleaned up and
healed up extremely well.  You can order it directly from a homeopathic
pharmacy (I use Northeast Homeopathics in Acton, Mass.).

Yes, the bleeding would have stopped and he would not have bled to death -
at least that has been my experience.  Broken horns look awful, but they
are okay.

The horn cells are still there, likely, and so something will likely grow
back, but it probably won't look so dramatic.

I hope this is helpful.  You did well.  Take a deep breath and have a cup
of tea.  He will heal.

Best,
Kelley