[Jacob-list] (no subject)

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Wed Jun 2 22:55:46 EDT 2004

We too have experienced broken horns occasionally - and the accompanying
bloody mess.  Just this summer our beautiful 4 horned ram, Southwind Sir
Lancelot broke off one of his laterals.......and it broke completely away
from the skull, which means he now has a hole where there used to be a
horn.  His entire head and face  on that side were bloody and looked  a
mess..........and apparently some hours had gone by before I even
discovered it.   The vet was out here for another issue and I had him
take a look and he recommended that we forcefully irrigate the wound site
with water - when I asked if he meant using a syringe and shooting water
into the hole, the vet replied, "nope, a garden hose would be much
better.........to forcefully clean out the opening."  (Sorta glad he's
not my family doctor!)  However, the reason for the vet's concern was
that nasal sinuses are nearby to this injury and his concern was that
maggots could possibly invade the injury and the sinuses.  Well, we did
the irrigation twice as recommended with my husband holding the ram and
me holding the hose (hey, sometimes it's a good thing being the "weaker"
sex) and it was rather a wild event, with both husband and ram nearly
taking off into the air, almost like flying reindeer!!!  We also used the
syringes of antibiotic that is used for mastitis in cows and injected the
antibiotic into the wound site, sprayed him well with Blue Kote which is
an antiseptic and protects, and sprayed him liberally with fly spray.  He
seems to be doing fine, although he will now be a bit lopsided in
appearance.........but I suppose that is the price one pays when two rams
live together and get to feeling a bit punchy at times.  (BTW, the
mastitis syringes of antibiotic work like a charm for many injuries in
out of the way places and they are readily available at farm supply
stores ~ or at least they are readily available here in dairy country.)

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Lititz, PA