[Jacob-list] choking sheep

Julie Barber jules3452 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 08:56:32 EDT 2004

Hello!  I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the situation that
occured this morning with my Jacob, Chortel.  She was eating some oats and
corn and just started gagging.  I thought she would get it out of her throat
the same way a dog does, but she couldn't seem to get her throat clear.  I
jumped to try to help her, but I didn't know what to do.  I tried putting my
hand down her mouth to help her, but I felt nothing.  I tried to get her to
drink water but she wouldn't. So I ran inside to call the couple that we got
the sheep from, but couldn't find their number, so I grabbed the phone book
and phone and ran outside.  However, when I got out there, Chortel was lying
on the ground and didn't look like she was breathing and it appeared her
eyes were rolled back in her head.  I ran over to her and started trying to
do the hiemlick, and then I pumped on her chest for about 5 minutes.
Finally, she opened her eyes and started gagging again.  I rubbed her throat
up and down, that's what I learned to do to help my dog if he is choking,
and she finally spit up some messing oats and looked like a little blood.
Very little red came out, so it may have been something else.  Anyway, she
started gasping for breath and then began bahhing and breathing normal.
After a few more minutes she stood up and walked around.  She is doing fine
now, but I was wondering if anyone has expeirienced this before and knows
how I can avoid that happening.  She didn't seem to be eating more oats than
normal, but maybe she was eating faster than normal?  I don't know.  I
appreciate any of your comments or thought!

Thanks again,
Julie