[Jacob-list] playing ewes

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 20:40:26 EST 2004

 Also I was wondering if any one else has noticed their herds playing
about dusk?  It does not matter what pasture or if they are goats,
sheep or llamas.  Sometimes even my dogs are at the fence, barking and
jumping up and down trying to become a part of the action.  It looks
like they are playing a game of tag,  chasing each other around, jumping
on top of things,  high jumps into the air with back kicks.  It is
amazing to watch their acrobatics.

Our ewes play, running, jumping, chasing each other, bouncing on all fours. They don't necessarily do it at dusk. Most of their running and jumping happens when I come home from work, driving down the road, they see me coming and start running and jumping knowing they are going to be fed shortly.

Here lately though they aren't running quite so fast and aren't jumping as high.  With each passing day the girls are getting heavier and heavier. Our lambs are due after the first of March.

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farm
Petersburg, IN